The NAACP has been instrumental in the African American experience because it has worked very hard to protect the individual rights of all black citizens. Although the NAACP is not solely for African Americas, contrary to popular belief, it is multicultural. The NAACP represents minorities and makes sure that all of their constitutional rights are ensured. In Oklahoma, there were several acts committed to help African Americans receive theses civil liberties. When segregation occurred, there were such things as sit ins. which is where African Americans would go to a place that they were not at the time "allowed" to be at and sit there. These people would be spit on, hit, taunted, and several other things, all in hopes that they would leave because the restaurant owners or owners of wherever they were hated them simply because of their color and wanted them to leave. During the early years of the NAACP, there were several legal cases that they participated in such as the case that the NAACP took on the government in hopes to overturn the laws that legalized segregation. At the law school Dean Evans spoke to us about cases in which African Americans were being discriminated against. He spoke of sit In's and of being harassed as a small child when he and his parents had not "gotten outta town before sun set". He told of several towns in Oklahoma that had posted signs using derogatory words to describe African Americans and telling them to "be out of town by sunset". That is news to me! I knew that segregation was bad but man was i clueless to the severity of the issue. Dean Evans made a wonderful suggestion to post my goals on my mirror, and although I did not get them turned in for extra credit I decided to take his advice and place a reminder on my desk so that everyday I remember to pull my head out of my butt and do the things that I need to in order to make my dreams possible!
Thursday, February 12, 2009
Be The Change YOU Wish To See In The World :)))
The NAACP has been instrumental in the African American experience because it has worked very hard to protect the individual rights of all black citizens. Although the NAACP is not solely for African Americas, contrary to popular belief, it is multicultural. The NAACP represents minorities and makes sure that all of their constitutional rights are ensured. In Oklahoma, there were several acts committed to help African Americans receive theses civil liberties. When segregation occurred, there were such things as sit ins. which is where African Americans would go to a place that they were not at the time "allowed" to be at and sit there. These people would be spit on, hit, taunted, and several other things, all in hopes that they would leave because the restaurant owners or owners of wherever they were hated them simply because of their color and wanted them to leave. During the early years of the NAACP, there were several legal cases that they participated in such as the case that the NAACP took on the government in hopes to overturn the laws that legalized segregation. At the law school Dean Evans spoke to us about cases in which African Americans were being discriminated against. He spoke of sit In's and of being harassed as a small child when he and his parents had not "gotten outta town before sun set". He told of several towns in Oklahoma that had posted signs using derogatory words to describe African Americans and telling them to "be out of town by sunset". That is news to me! I knew that segregation was bad but man was i clueless to the severity of the issue. Dean Evans made a wonderful suggestion to post my goals on my mirror, and although I did not get them turned in for extra credit I decided to take his advice and place a reminder on my desk so that everyday I remember to pull my head out of my butt and do the things that I need to in order to make my dreams possible!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I wish you had made the extra credit deadline, Dean Evans would be excited to hear that you took his words to heart.
ReplyDeleteHey Wendy! Ok so first of all I love the icons that you put on here because they really mean a lot. Life is definitely about dreaming and so often we forget our dreams and we never live them out. While reading your blog, I just got saddened by the "Sunset Laws" that Dean Evans mentioned during his speech to us. I wasn't even aware that there was laws like that. It's so eery when I think about it because who knows what happened to the african americans who didn't abide by these laws. No one has the right to tell anyone what time they should be gone from certain cities. If they didn't get out, their lives would be threatened and that honestly doesn't sit right with me. It disgust me to think that African Americans were treated like that. Dean Evans really made a difference in my life and now I'm constantly thinking about dreams and what I need to do in order to achieve those dreams. Your blog was really good and I enjoyed reading it. I'm also glad that you pointed out that the NAACP doesn't only help African Americans and that they help everyone. The NAACP is such a wonderful organization and I'm glad you mentioned it in your blog!
ReplyDeleteMaile Naone
Hello Wendy, you have really done a great job of setting up your blog. I really like the images that you added. It is very important for one to have dreams and follow them in order to get everything out of life that one desires. It sounds like Dean Evans gave a very interesting lecture; I wish I could have gotten to the law school sooner so I could have heard it too. I also took his advice and made a list of my dreams as well. I think this will be a very important tool in making sure that I complete my goals in life.
ReplyDeleteWendy, just like youI feel enlignten about what African Americans went through because of the information i learnt in this class through enslavement, reconstruction , NAACP,Our visit to the Law school was wonderful in the sense that history was told by someone who was present when it happened. Dean Evans' Lecture was indeed very helpful. Lkie you I learnt about the sun set laws, segregation in schools, and the Ada Lois Case. He made me know how African American would have to leave the city before the sun set in order not to suffer any form of injustice.
ReplyDeleteI learnt the importance of dreaming. The importance of writing out your dreams and putting it in a place where you can see it everyday as a form of a reminder. I will love to pass this tradition among my friends and family. I also learnt the importance of determination. Dean Evans was determined to go to Law school at 55 even though his friends thought he was old for it. This shows the importance of going againsts all odds to achieve a dream. Indeed I learnt that its not all about dreaming, but also hard work, determination and perseverance play important role in the success of a dream!
I also really like your graphics and your page. It is very eye catching. Dreams are a big part of peoples lives becuase they help us achieve the things we want. Dreaming and setting goals keep us on track and help us to not sway away from what we want in life. I made a list of my dreams and now i have to try my hardest to achieve them. I also, was not aware of how bad segregation really was. I knew it was terribe, but by being in this class, i have learned so much more about racism and segregation. This class is great because it teaches us the things they fail to mention in high school.
ReplyDelete02/21/09
ReplyDelete