Wednesday, April 15, 2009

The AIDS epidemic....







So, I attended this class on Monday evening that taught about AIDS and the way that the media portrays it. This class taught me several things that I previously wasn't aware of. I had no idea that the AIDS epidemic was as serious as it is. I mean yeah sure I have always known that AIDS existed and that I should always protect myself but some of the statistics that they said were just shocking to me! The speaker informed us of the ways that you could possibly contract the AIDS virus and spoke against several of the myths of how one cannot contract the AIDS virus. She explained several times that there are three ways you contract the virus and there are four fluids that can carry the virus. Through this class I became aware of the fact the the media first portrayed the AIDS virus are a "gay white mans disease". African Americans didn't believe that this virus affected them since they were neither white nor gay but in reality African Americans account for 48% of new HIV infections according to the class that I attended.The instructors of the class come from a company called Guiding Right. Guiding Right is the only federally funded program of it's kind here in Oklahoma. The class was encouraged to get tested and "know their status" . Overall I really enjoyed the presentation and wish more students from our class had been able to attend the class.

No comments:

Post a Comment